The Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship is being held at the Philadelphia Cricket Club in Flourtown, Pennsylvania. (That's near Philadelphia.) It was founded in 1854 and it's the oldest country club in the US, although golf courses weren't added until the late 1890s. The US Open was hosted there in 1907 and 1910, so there's some serious history here.
And who do I think might add their name to that history?
- How can I not put Bernhard Langer on this list? With one major (the Regions Tradition) already this season? On a par-70 course that's just over 7000 yards? With his game? This venue is practically begging him to win here!
- Colin Montgomerie was runner-up just two weeks ago at the Senior PGA. Like Bernhard, I think this course is right up his alley. Monty's trademark has always been accuracy, not length, and he's been playing well on northern US courses this season, so this one should suit him.
- Got to give Billy Andrade a nod for this one. After a T5 at the Senior PGA and a T2 last week, he's on form to get his first major.
- Can Rocco Mediate add another major to his Senior PGA? Why not? After a lackluster season, Rocco got that win and backed it up with a T6 at Principal last week. The Rock is streaky, but I'm thinking his streak may continue.
- And my flier... this is a tough one. But I'm really gonna fly with this one and take Fred Funk. Why Fred, when he doesn't have a single Top10 this season? I've looked at his stats and they aren't really that bad. I'm guessing that Fred will get a boost from his son Taylor's play in the NCAA tournament. He said he had learned from his son; let's see just how much he learned.
But then, I thought he'd win the Senior PGA too...